If you want at least one voice who will put the word “trust” back in the title “Trustee,” you have to work for it. If you rely on others to do what you should be doing, you will not get the representation you need.
If you want your school board to be a better steward of your tax dollars, there are a couple of questions you need to consider:
1) Which candidate for Area 1 – or any area – has a history of exposing reckless school district spending?
2) Which candidate has made fiscal responsibility a cornerstone of his campaign?
The answer to both is Steve Smith. In 2011, I wrote in my Daily Pilot column that your tax dollars had been used to pay for minibar and costly room service bills for then-superintendent Jeffrey Hubbard. That was one of several fiscal-related columns.
And a recent blog post showed how the district could have save a lot of your tax dollars and made life much easier for teachers by being smarter when buying fans for the air conditioning they should have included in their bond 14 years ago.
To my opponent, minibar costs and fan purchases are probably a “drop in the bucket,” which is what she called the wasteful, much larger, travel and conference budget. But I don’t see it that way. To me, these are hard-earned tax dollars and every one of them should be spent as though it were precious.
If you want at least one person who will keep a closer eye on your money, it’s time to commit to my candidacy. With less than two weeks until Election Day, there are still a number of things you can do:
1) Make a donation. By check: Steve Smith for NMUSD Board 2014, P.O. Box 2361, Costa Mesa, CA 92628 or online at www.SteveSmithForSchoolBoard.com.
2) Vote for Steve Smith by mail now or in person on Nov. 4
3) Tell your friends, family and co-workers to vote for Steve Smith on Nov. 4
4) Plant a sign in your lawn or put one in your window. To get one, e-mail me at SteveSmithNMUSDBoard@gmail.com.
5) Distribute brochures in your neighborhood. Get ’em by e-mailing me at SteveSmithNMUSDBoard.com.
6) Spread the word… About my blog, my website and my candidacy.
Thank you for your support.